From Where Did These Prayers Originate?


As the book nears publication, I thought it worthwhile to answer a few questions that might surface. The first query is so obvious an inquiry that most people might be reticent to ask because they fear others might think them dense. But it's a great question.

From where did these prayers originate?

The answer is fairly simple: almost all of the petitions that are in "To You I Lift Up My Soul" have arisen from my devotional readings of Scripture. Therefore, I have used these prayers myself (usually in an unpolished format).

One way this happens goes something like this:

  • Early mornings, before the roosters crow and birds sing, I get up to read the Scripture.
  • Once I've completed my readings (Psalms; then Old Testament; next New Testament letters/books; finally Gospels) I open my journal and take some detail from my readings and turn into a prayer.
  • At times one of those petitions stands out as one to use with our congregation, or to share with someone who could use it. In that case, it gets polished in regard to spelling, synonyms, pulse (rhythm) and punctuation.

Another way this happens:

  • As I think about congregational prayers for the upcoming week I land on a Psalm or some other passage (usually one I had recently read in my devotions).
  • I then see how to break it out for public use - by verse or concept.
  • Then I begin to pen a prayer around that section that fits and reflects the idea in that passage.
  • Lastly, I actually rehearse the prayers out-loud to ensure that it flows well for those listening.

This means I spend a considerable amount of time on the requests. Maybe an hour to two. I hope you find this helpful. You could go here to find one example.

Do you have some questions you'd like me to answer? Leave them in the comments and I will get to them as soon as I can.

Mike

Comments

Popular Posts