Ray's Rocking Review



(Ray Cannata, Pastor at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New Orleans, placed this kind review on Amazon)

------------
A couple decades into pastoral ministry and I still find leading in prayer the most difficult parts of public worship. I find that without preparation in advance my prayers can be less helpful to people and honoring to the Lord than they should be. I fall prey to all the usual problems: I ramble with no discernible flow to my thoughts; I'm less than clear in my words and distract or confuse those I'm leading; I worry about impressing the congregation with my eloquence or earnestness more than authentically honoring the Lord; I use vocabulary and "purple sugar" phrases that come off as unnatural to me.... These and more.

The remedy has been to thoughtfully and prayerfully prepare in advance, either with a manuscript or at least an outline. Looking for ideas and models from others allows this process not to limited by my personal imagination. But it is difficult to find published prayers that are fresh and lively and honest. I found this book to be overflowing with the idea starters and phrasing I needed.

There are a variety of prayers published here, on all kinds of topics. They each are inspired by one or more Scripture texts, noted in the title. The Scriptures are helpfully indexed in the back as well. Over 80 prayers, each thoughtfully crafted.

These prayers spring from someone who is clearly leading a rich spiritual life. Dr. Philliber had 20 years of active duty in the military before seminary. He's since spent 20 years in parish ministry and chaplaincy.

The printing by White Blackbird is attractive and readable as always. Very nicely packaged as well.

I was given a copy of this book free of charge but there were expectations made on the content of my review. I don't know Rev. Dr. Philliber personally very well (though after reading his work I want to).

Can't wait for his next book!
---------

If Ray liked the book, what's holding you back? Speed on over and get you a copy as well.
To You I Lift Up My Soul (Paperback)
To You I Lift Up My Soul (Kindle - ideal for military chaplains and others "in the field")


Comments

Popular Posts